Saturday, September 9, 2017

A Minute Meditation


Outwardly the enlightened seem the same as everybody else.  Inwardly, however, their distinctive trait is that they have no goal, but simply allow life to enfold with no concern for where it is going.  For them, effort, cunning, and purpose are the results of having forgotten one's true nature.

-- Zi Gong --
from Taoist Wisdom
Timothy Freke, editor


No goal?  No plans for the future?  Just drift with what is happening at that time?   It seems to go against everything we in the West are taught, or so it seems to me.

This sounds strange to me.   But, then again, when people asked me long ago what I was going to be when I grew up, I never had an answer.  I can look back and see how one thing led to another; however, I never imagined my life would go as it did. 

5 comments:

  1. Greetings to you. Thank you for your kind wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. boy, that's the truth! never in my wildest dreams would i have believed i'd end up where i am, physically and mentally, both...
    interesting quote... in your comment, "taught" is the key word, i think... Gong is not referring to acquired, cultural habits, but to the essential animal and it's relation to the universe... beating the same drum, i am, yes... maybe i'll quit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mudpuddle--same here, no idea whatsoever of where I'd be at this time in my life. And, it definitely was not planned.

    Yes, I agree--taught is the key word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I met you going on forty years ago, and you told me you in grad school simply because you liked to read, I'd have pegged you then and there for a blogger. Except that the word didn't exist then, which we both would have found quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pops--that sounds like something I might have said. However, forgive me, but I'm afraid that I don't remember anyone called Pops back then.

      Delete