Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Loren Eiseley: "The Innocent Fox"



This is an excerpt from an essay in Loren Eiseley's collection, The Star Thrower.  The essay is titled "The Innocent Fox."   Perhaps it could have been called "The Innocent Fox and the Innocent Human"?


The episode occurred upon an unengaging and unfrequented shore,  It began in the late afternoon of a day devoted at the start to ordinary scientific purposes.  There was the broken prow of a beached boat subsiding in heavy sand, left by the whim of ancient currents a long way distant from the shifting coast.  Somewhere on the horizon wavered the tenuous outlines of a misplaced building, growing increasingly insubstantial in the autumn light. 


A fog suddenly moved in, and he is trapped.  Rather than wander about, he decides to stay by the beached boat until the fog lifts or morning comes.


. . . It was then I saw the miracle.  I saw it because I was hunched at ground level smelling rank of fox, and no longer gazing with upright human arrogance upon the things of this world.  

I did not realize at first what it was that I looked upon.  As my wandering attention centered, I saw nothing but two small projecting ears lit by the morning sun.  Beneath them, a small neat face looked shyly up at me.  The ears moved at every sound, drank in a gull's cry and the far horn of a ship.  They crinkled, I began to realize, only with curiosity, they had not learned to fear.  The creature was very young.  He was alone in a dread universe.  I crept on my knees around the prow and crouched beside him  It was a small fox pup from a den under the timbers who looked up at me.  God knows what had become of his brothers and sisters.  His parent must not have been home fro hunting.

He innocently selected what I think was a chicken bone from an untidy pile of splintered rubbish and shook it at me invitingly.   There was a vast and playful humor in his face.  "If there was only one fox in the world and I could kill him. I would do."  The words of a British poacher in a pub rasped in my ears. I dropped even further and painfully away from human stature.  It has been said repeatedly that one can never, try as he will, get around to the front of the universe  Man is destined to see only its far side, to realize nature only in  retreat.

Yet here was the thing in the midst of the bones, the wide-eyed, innocent fox inviting me to play, with the innate courtesy of it two forepaws placed appealingly together, along with a mock shake of the head.  The universe was swinging in some fantastic fashion around to present its face, and the face was so small that the universe itself was laughing.

It was not a time for human dignity. It was a time only for the careful observance of amenities written behind the stars.  Gravely I arranged my forepaws while the puppy whimpered with ill-concealed excitement.  I drew the breath of a fox's den into my nostrils. On impulse, I picked up clumsily a whiter bone and shook it in teeth that had not entirely forgotten their original purpose.  Round and round we tumbled for one ecstatic moment.  We were the innocent thing in the midst of the bones, born in the egg, born in the den, born in the dark cave with the stone ax close to hand, born at last in human guise to grow coldly remote in the room with the rifle rack upon the wall.

But, I had seen my miracle.  I had seen the universe as it begins for all things.  It was, in reality, a child's universe, a tiny and laughing universe.  I rolled the pup on his back and ran, literally ran for the neared ridge.  The sun was half out of the sea, and the world was swinging back to normal.  The adult foxes would be already trotting home.

A little farther on, I passed one on a ridge who knew well I had no gun, for it swung by quite close, stepping delicately with brush and head held high.  Its face was watchful but averted,  It did not matter.  It was what I had experienced and the fox had experienced, what we had all experienced in adulthood.   We passed carefully on our separate ways into the morning, eyes not meeting. 

.   .   .   .   .

For just a moment I had held the universe at bay by the simple expedient of sitting on my haunches before a fox den and tumbling about with a chicken bone.  It is the gravest, most meaningful act I shall ever accomplish, but, as  Thoreau once remarked of some peculiar errand of his own, there is no use reporting it to the Royal Society.




Perhaps we should, at times, forget our status as lords of creation.  I read somewhere the creativity is strongest in those who have never quite completely grown up.  Something to think about anyway.




I suppose this will be seen by many as just a cute story, of little consequence and to be quickly forgotten or ignored.  I think it's very significant in that it tells us a lot about the type of person Loren Eiseley was and much about the way he saw the world.   I wonder how many other scientists would act as he did and also reveal it to their fellow scientists.   Eiseley had mentioned once or twice that some of his colleagues actually reprimanded him for his non-scientific outlook as expressed in his essays and poetry.

I am reminded of many SF stories I had read in the past that pushed the idea that the world would be a better place, a more open and tolerant world if run by scientists and technologists, for they were free of prejudice and would be more willing to forgo past ways of thinking and rely on evidence.   I don't see much of that anymore in SF.  Perhaps SF writers have also read the accounts of the difficulties that new ideas, in spite of the evidence, had in being accepted.  As usual, it's a case of yesterday's heresies are today's truths and will be tomorrow's dogmatic barrier to new ideas.

14 comments:

  1. we tend to associate change with the progress of time, as we know it... i wonder if animals experience it in the same way... after a solo hike to Twin Lakes in the Cascades, i spread a tarp and laid on my back in the sunshine.... something woke me up and i was staring, over about a two inch range, into the dark lucid eyes of a large doe.. we communed for what seemed like a couple of minutes, conveying to each other the mysteries of the world, before she whuffed in my face and slowly walked off, turning her head to keep me in view... i did feel like i was on another planet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mudpuddle--that would be an awakening experience. I don't think I would ever forget it. Humans aren't the only curious beings on this planet (and curious in both senses of the word).

      Delete
  2. Mudpuddle--perhaps in a way, but not completely. I think we are more consciously aware of time passing. Animals live more in the NOW than we do or rather our memory of the past and ability to see a future distracts us from the NOW. Physically we are as much in the NOW as other critters here, but our attention is split among the three: past, present, and future--if that makes any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sure that's correct, but my imaginative faculty wonders if something is going on inside the heads of animals of which we have absolutely no knowledge... like another sense, or perception of nature at an angle of which Man is not aware... all in all, the world for each of us is a very mysterious place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mudpuddle--I don't know, but I also wonder at times how it would be to perceive the world based on sound or smell, which apparently some creatures do.

      Can a dolphin or a whale create an image through sound? What would that "look" like?

      Delete
  4. Mudpuddle sent me over here as I've just posted an Mortimer Adler lecture on the nature and origin of man, and he was saying your post had some similar elements and thoughts with regard to men and beasts.

    I love Eiseley's apparent ability to inhabit both the world of science and the world of wonder. For a scientist, I would suspect sadly that this would be unusual.

    I believe C.S. Lewis also felt that children saw a certain something special that most adults miss. It bears thinking about.

    Thanks for the thought-provoking review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleopatra--thanks for stopping by and commenting. I suspect that Eiseley, unfortunately, belongs to a very small minority group among his colleagues, regardless of what field they're in.

      One observation that I've made is that the young of many species seem more willing to interact with other species than are the adults. I shall take a look at the Adler lecture: that sounds interesting.

      Delete
  5. Here's a thought: children are closer to being animals, then we adults ruin them with our ideas, beliefs, attitudes, etc. Perhaps Peter Pan is worth pondering here. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We "ruin" them just as we were "ruined" by our elders?

      Delete
    2. R.T.--that sounds like a very emphatic YES.

      Delete
    3. I speak for myself. My mother turned an innocent and imaginative sprite into a frightened, insecure, unhappy, socially inept child through fundamentalist Bible-based hellfire and brimstone threats, tales of terror, and punishments; as Wordsworth noted, the child is the father of the man. I apologize for veering so far from Eisley.

      Delete
    4. RT: the tragedy of being human: most likely your grandmother did the same to your mother... ad infinitum... strange that Christian love leads to so much unhappiness....

      Delete
    5. R.T.--sorry to hear about that.

      Delete