Saturday, September 2, 2017

Thomas Mann and Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller and Peggy Lee?

Thomas Mann
"Disillusionment"
a short story included in Stories of Three Decades
H. T.  Lowe-Porter, translator 


I, after a few decades of my own, dug out my copy of Thomas Mann's Stories of Three Decades, a collection of twenty-four short stories.  It was while reading the second story in the collection, "Disillusionment," that something strange happened.

It's not a complicated tale at all.  The first person narrator is sitting in a sidewalk cafe in Venice, enjoying the evening, when a man seated at the next table, begins to talk to him.  After a few opening pleasantries, the stranger suddenly  becomes quite serious.

"Do you know, my dear sir, what disillusionment is?"  he asked.in low, urgent tones, both hands leaning on his stick.  "Not a miscarriage in small, unimportant matters, but the great and general disappointment which everything, all of life, has in store?  No, of course, you do not know.  But from my youth up I have carried it about with me; it has made me lonely, unhappy, and a bit queer, I do not deny that." 


One night, when he was a small child, his parents' house caught on fire, and it was only with some difficulty that the entire family was saved.  After it was over, he thought:


"So this,' I thought, 'is a fire.   This is what it is like to have the house on fire.  Is this all there is to it?"


Later, the inevitable happens: romance enters his life.


"'Years ago I fell in love with a girl, a charming, gentle creature, whom it would have been my joy to protect and cherish.  But she loved me not. . .and she married another. . .Many a night I lay wide-eyed and wakeful; yet my greatest torture resided in the thought: 'So this is the greatest pain we can suffer.  Well, and what then--is this all?'"

Even the sea and a vast gorge disappoints him.  And the last disappointment hasn't occurred yet, but when it does:

"'So I dream and wait for death.  Ah, how well I know it already, death, that last disappointment!  At my last moment I shall be saying to myself: 'So this is the great experience--well, and what of it? What is it after all?'"

It was a sad story, and I felt sorry for the disillusioned man to some extent.  However, it seemed to me, though, that he had suffered from an exaggerated or excessive expectations about the upcoming events.  He was much like a child, or so it seemed to me.

As I read the story, it not only seemed familiar to me (very possible as I had read it a long time ago), but I also associated a tune with it.  Finally, at the end of the story, I remembered a hit song from the late '60s.   The song, of course, is "Is That All There is?" sung by Peggy Lee.


Some of the lyrics:

I remember when I was a very little girl, our house caught on fire
I'll never forget the look on my father's face as he gathered me up
In his arms and raced through the burning building out to the pavement
And I stood there shivering in my pajamas and watched the whole world go up in flames
And when it was all over I said to myself, is that all there is to a fire?



And then I fell in love with the most wonderful boy in the world
We'd take take long walks down by the river or just sit for hours gazing into each other's eyes
We were so very much in love
And then one day he went away and I thought I'd die, but I didn't
And when I didn't I said to myself, is that all there is to love?


I know what you must be saying to yourselves
If that's the way she feels about it why doesn't she just end it all?
Oh, no, not me I'm not ready for that final disappointment
'Cause I know just as well as I'm standing here talking to you
When that final moment comes and I'm breathing my last breath, I'll be saying to myself


Is that all there is, is that all there is?
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is


I went a bit further and found the following in a Wikipedia article titled "Is That All There Is?"  The following is an excerpt from that article.

"The song was inspired by the 1896 story Disillusionment (Enttäuschung) by  Thomas Mann.   Jerry Leiber's wife Gaby Rodgers (née Gabrielle Rosenberg) was born in Germany, lived in the Netherlands. She escaped ahead of the Nazis, and settled in Hollywood where she had a brief film career in films noir.  Gaby introduced Leiber to the works of  Thomas Mann. The narrator in Mann's story tells the same stories of when he was a child. A dramatic adaptation of Mann's story was recorded by Erik Bauserfeld and Bernard Mayes; it was broadcast on San Francisco radio station  KPFA in 1964."

The three events mentioned in both, of course, are the house fire, the unrequited love, and death.   Of course, not all of the incidents in the story were included in the song, and the visit  to the circus in the song was not in Mann's story.  Two disappointments in the story that are not included in the song are visits to a magnificent river gorge scene in the mountains and a visit to the seashore.   The river gorge scene could have become a trip to the Grand Canyon wherein Peggy Lee remarks that it's just a big hole in the ground and "Is that all there is?"

Rereading for me is positive pleasure.  Of course, after all these years, it will almost be like reading them for the first time--one of the advantages of a slowly decaying memory.   I wonder what else I shall find in the remaining 20+ stories.  If you are looking for a collection of literate and intriguing short stories, I would like to recommend  Stories  of  Three Decades  by Thomas Mann.

I know there have been many poems that were adapted for songs, but this is the first short story that I have found that has been turned into a song.  There probably are others, but so far I haven't come across them.

Do you know of any stories that became songs?

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Mudjpuddle--yes, very. He seems to be emotionally crippled.

      Delete
  2. Greetings from the UK. I enjoyed reading.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting, Fred. Now I'm curious and I'll be pondering this evening if I can think of any stories which have become the basis for a song. There are quite a few songs I can think of offhand that tell a story, but doubt they came from one.

    Re Peggy Lee. I vaguely recall that song, but the one of hers which I love is "Fever."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. madamevauquer--yes, many songs do tell a story--folk songs for example.

      Fever! ah yes, I had forgotten that one. I think I have a CD around here somewhere. I think I will see if I can find it and resurrect a few memories.

      Delete
  4. This is such an interesting topic. A lot of Rock songs are based on books. One of many that comes to mind is Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls is based upon Ernest Hemingway's novel of the same name. Metallica's One is based upon Johnny Got his Gun. There are many more examples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian Joseph--I hadn't known that about rock songs. I know that some take their inspiration from films (or at least I've read that somewhere). Do these songs have lyrics that tell the story?

      Delete
  5. Do I know of any stories that became songs? Do operas count as answers? If so, I can name dozens of operas. Then we can add Broadway musicals. Perhaps you meant something else. I think now I'll listen to Les Miserables. Then I might listen to Cats. But that might not count: its based on a book of poems. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great, RT! i love opera myself, but am not a congnoscentus, unfortunately... i don't think an opera exists that is not based on a book or story... well, maybe Turandot... Puccini had an unusual creative gift...

      Delete
    2. R.T.--I hadn't considered operas, but yes, you are right. Many operas are based on stories. For some reason I don't consider that strange, but somehow, for some inexplicable reason, I'm intrigued by the idea of a song based on a short story.

      Perhaps the reason is that it's just the first time I've encountered this. Or maybe it's the incongruity of finding a short story by Thomas Mann, written about the turn of the century, appearing as a pop song some 60 years later.

      Delete
  6. Emotionally crippled. Yes. I feel sorry for that poor man - reminds me of the Maurice Chevalier character in GIGI. (Though he was more engaging.) Do you think this is an affliction particularly attributed to the French? I remember being gobsmacked by all sorts of things during my life and never once thinking 'is that all there is?' Well, maybe a time or two - but hardly ever. As for stories into songs: Opera for sure. But I know I'm going to wrack my brain trying to think of some others. P.S. I too love Peggy Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvette, I wouldn't think so, or at least I have no reason for believing that.

      Delete
  7. That was an interesting connection with Peggy Lee and Mann. I also have that short story collection. It's a great group of stories. I did find a lot of his stories explored why are we here and does it matter?

    For me the most powerful stories were Mario and the Magician and Death in Venice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon--Yes, "Death in Venice" is a very powerful story. I remember the title, "Mario and the Magician," but it's been so long since I read it that I remember little about it. But, as I'm going to read all the stories, I will eventually get there.

      Delete